Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Beliefs and Values

Being a Red Shirt Student Leader in Coral Sec for the past 6 years has really led me to realizing my goals, dreams and aspirations. It has opened to me the different doors of thinking and doing, leading and mentoring, building and inspiring.

I always refer to the red shirts in school as my kids; just like the teachers do. Coming from a generation where the fathers are absent, I have taken it upon myself to take care of these groups of students that have taken the bold step to set the standard and become Red Shirt Student Leaders in Coral Sec. As I will say," I don't care about them until they put on the redshirt".

Being in the pioneering batch of red shirts, we've seen the past 7 batches of Red Shirts. Be it good or bad, there are just so many takeaways one can have if we take it seriously. But for the 2011 and 2012, it has really led me to a level of really understanding "What Redshirts is Really All About".

Looking back at batch 5, 6, 7, it has really brought me a level where teaching is no longer the main aim here. Maintaining the Standard and Mentoring the kids is.
Looking at them grow when the first enter school till they graduate means a great deal to me. Not being emotional here but how many people get to enjoy these moments? ;)

Speaking to Hakim and Sattish the past few days really set my heart on mentoring these kids. Reminding them that there is more than studies, more than camps, more than responsibilities as a student leader that makes them so special. It is the choices and decisions that they make and mindsets that they have that can make the biggest difference. I.E. looking at just 2 of the sec 4s taking O levels studying till their eyes are balling out makes you really feel the heart pain. (not being emotional here;)

Looking at the VAST amount of potential and abilities in the current sec3s, they really impressed me and the alumni, every single one of them! From the first time I knew them till now, they have really done well. Everyone of them deserves the shirt and the experience. From the short, smart and hardworking to the tall, funny and resilient ones, I want to be able to influence their next few steps in Coral.

Upcoming Saturday is the Grad event for batch 6. I really don't know how it will turn out. But I really hope to encourage them to do well for their important in school. It's a small effort but it does make a difference in their lives.

This was how my journey started. And it is going to be hitting a wall soon (NS). How will I get over it?
Only my motivation will.
Praying hard to go to Mount Kinabalu this year with you kids. It is only RIGHT to do so. I have went through the whole year with you all, I want you all to have the full experience and to show you all that I truly care about you all.

I end with this.
People, teachers, friends, students always ask, "Why do you keep coming back to Coral?"
I used to say,"I want to give back to the school what it has given me"
Now I say,"You will only understand when you've gone through it yourself"

I don't know if I will really go back to Coral to teach,
But 1 thing is for sure,
I will keep Red Shirts going.



Till the Next Post,
TUB

No comments:

Post a Comment