Sunday, June 24, 2012

Final Initiative as Redshirt Alumni.

This is the last official event that I have planned for the 5th and 6th batch of redshirts.
We had it as Pasir Ris Park and took one of the "un-occupied" BBQ pits and started off.

It all began with failed pancake making, too much tidbits and too little food. Sorry kids, I'm low on budget for this! But it was all in the effort to bring "Encouragement" food for each other. Well, Oreos, Mamee, Twisties, Snacks and Kopiko didnt work out fully, but the glass bottle drinks "Yam-Seng" did push up all the atmosphere. All the chit chat and attempts to make pancakes definitely worked out well.

The whole purpose of the day was to tell them about their journey ahead as Redshirts as well as to encourage them on as they take their major exams. Using what I have learnt throughout my personal Redshirt journey, I have shared with them truthfully what I felt for them as well as to really motivate them.

The environment was just great! Dark but not too dark, Windy but not too loud, Not noisy at all, mozzies at its' least. We started with recollecting together their SLTC experience as a whole. 1 plus and 1 delta per person. One by one they shared and the key to this being a success was the common identification of events that happened throughout their camp. This was key as a built up to the next step.

I dropped a question to them,"Has being a redshirt benefited you?"
Everyone said yes.
"One thing we can do for something that has benefited us is to give back and show appreciation. How can you give back if that's the case?" I dropped this question but none has the answer. I really used Hakim's and my own experience as a senior, a friend, a Redshirt to inspire the to think deeper. I see them not just a my juniors, but my own friends, as well as my kids.

We then proceeded to link to their upcoming adversities, challenges and mountains; their major exams. Hakim and myself are not the best academic examples for them to follow. But what we really want is for them to face the next few months with such tenacity and courage so that they can do well. Stress is inevitable. Stress from parents, Stress from teachers, Stressing themselves.

We walked towards the breakwaters and stood in a line. All quiet and serious, I shared the story of the Carrot, Egg & Coffee. When I ended, I asked to look at a kelong directly infront. It was the only place with lights on in the middle of the sea. Looking at that, I asked them,"right where we are is dark, uncertain. But where the light is, there are answers and directions. Think of where you are now and what you want to achieve when you reach the light. When you're ready, turn around and find me"

The next activity when they were ready was writing a letter to self. This activity was from my internship preparation and it really had a big effect. Dropping them the envelope and paper, their focus was on what they want to achieve in the next 6 months, and how. To my amazement, the serenity of the moment and the environment made the moment so special and serious. Everyone did it and took the whole activity seriously. Some even kept writing till I had to end the whole activity as I was eating in to the time.

We decided to keep the letter sealed, unread till the 26th Dec, Boxing Day. It is a letter that would ultimately motivate them till the end of the year. I do not know what they wrote, but I know if they took it seriously, it would work wonders.

It all ended just like that on a focused note for everyone. And as they packed up and left, I felt satisfied after the whole thing. I left them to go home on their own, of course the gentlemen must make sure the ladies got home safe, when they could "debrief" themselves and let the whole experience sink in. I think the picture in my head for the next few months would be them. Sec 3 redshirts, You all as well. Mount Kinabalu will be an exciting time for you. Sec 2 redshirts, your time to step up. I believe You all can.



Till next time, 
TUB


No comments:

Post a Comment